Western Union isn’t the most popular method for funding an online casino account… however… there is a good range of online casinos that accept Western Union from their customers and some rate very highly with us.
Check out the best casinos below, we’ve scored them by their reputation, the bonus on offer, free spins and game selection.
Best Western Union Casino Sites
100% up to £300
£88 Free No Deposit
Bet £10 get £50 bonus
18+. New Casino players only. Deposit required. Min stake £10 on qualifying games. 40x wager reqs (bonus only) on selected games. 24hrs to accept. Bonus valid for 48hrs. Certain deposit types excluded. Bets covering >70% of Roulette table excluded.
Deposit £10 Play £40 & 100 Free Spins
New UK&IRL Customers Only. Min Deposit £10. Deposits made by e-wallets are not valid. Bonus wagering x35 on eligible games. Winnings from bonus capped at £500. Full T&C's apply.
How To Deposit & Withdraw
Generally speaking, regardless of the particular online casino in question, the process of depositing and withdrawing from your account using Western Union follows these steps:
- Contact the customer services department of your chosen online casino and they will give you all of the details you need to provide to Western Union for a transfer.
- Contact a Western Union agent either over the phone, in person or online and provide them with details of your desired transaction, including those details provided by the casino.
- Once funds have been passed to Western Union through the agent, you will be given a Money Transfer Control Number (MTCN).
- Provide the ten digit MTCN to your online casino so that they can authorise and complete the deposit.
- Funds will typically appear in your online casino account within a few minutes but can take up to three days, depending upon the casino in question and the country from which you made your deposit.
- Contact the customer services department of the gambling site from which you wish to withdraw funds.
- Explain the details of the withdrawal that you wish to action and that you’d like to use Western Union.
- The customer service professional should then be able to provide you with a ten digit MTCN related to the withdrawal transaction.
- You can then use the MTCN to receive your withdrawn funds from a Western Union agent in person or to have it added to a special Western Union MasterCard if you possess one.
Fees & Charges
Western Union is a company offering convenient and instant money transfers, usually between individuals or organisations in different countries. As such, it is not a payment method set up or particularly designed for funding online casino accounts and the fees associated with the service make that abundantly obvious.
Each and every transfer carried out through Western Union incurs a charge and the size of that charge depends upon the exact nature of the transaction (amount transferred, countries involved, method of transfer etc.). Typically fees range from a minimum of 14% to a maximum of 18% above and beyond the value of the transfer.
Type: Western Union began life as a telegraph company but now provide financial services including person-to-person money transfers, money orders, business payments and other commercial services.
Address: Meridian, Colorado, United States
Phone: 0808 234 9168
Owner: Western Union is a public company listed and traded on the New York Stock Exchange.
Pro’s & Con’s: Should You Use Western Union For Casino Deposits?
- Once a Western Union transfer has been actioned (either as a deposit or a withdrawal), funds usually clear very quickly.
- Depositing and withdrawing via Western Union is a very safe and secure payment method, which doesn’t require gamblers to provide any sensitive financial information to online casinos or betting sites.
- Western Union transfers are one of a number of payment methods whereby the online casino’s name will not show up on your bank account or credit card bill.
- There aren’t many Western Union casino sites to choose from – although luckily those that do expect are highly rated.
- Where it is possible to deposit via Western Union transfer, it is often not possible to withdraw funds via the same method.
- The actual process of depositing or withdrawing via Western Union transfer is quite long-winded, complicated and requires a good deal of effort – especially if you have to visit a Western Union agent in person.
- Western Union money transfers are very expensive to carry out. The company typically charges between 14% and 18% over the amount transferred per transaction.
Frequently Asked Questions
How Long Will It Take Me To Withdraw?
Actually actioning a withdrawal from an online casino through Western Union does take a fair bit of time and effort. Typically, the online casino’s customer services department does have to be contacted and a subsequent MTCN then needs to be presented to Western Union. That number can then be used to retrieve the withdrawn funds either in person or potentially online by utilising a special Western Union credit card. Fortunately, once that part of the process has been achieved, funds generally are available immediately.
How Safe Are The Transfers?
The traditional method of depositing and withdrawing funds using Western Union – by providing the casino or Western Union with an MTCN and dealing in person and in cash – is unquestionably one of the safest payment methods when it comes to cyber-security. The method, after all, requires you to provide no card details or other sensitive financial information to an online casino, betting site or any other organisation.
Can Western Union be Trusted?
Having been founded all the way back in 1851, there are few companies that have been around as long as Western Union. They are a well-respected and globally renowned financial services company and there is no doubt that they operate according to all necessary legal and moral requirements.
Unfortunately, however, the company’s services have in the past been used for some underhand and illegal activities. Certain types of scammers do favour Western Union as a channel for their activities and that means that it pays to be a little careful when using Western Union and to always follow Western Union’s own guidelines regarding safe usage of their services.
Are There Any Similar but Better Deposit Methods?
Depending upon the facet of a Western Union money transfer which attracts you to it as a payment method, there are a number of other alternatives which you may wish to consider.
If you’re looking for a deposit option where you can turn cash into online casino funds without providing your card details online, for instance, a pre-paid Paysafecard may appeal to you. If you’re looking to keep the name of an online casino off your bank account and don’t wish to provide financial information to the betting site, meanwhile, e-wallets such as Paypal and Skrill might be a good choice.